---> Oncology Nurse Test Questions (11-15)
6. After being in remission from Hodgkin's disease for 18 months, a client develops a fever of unknown origin. The physician orders a blind liver biopsy to rule out advancing Hodgkin's disease and infection. Twenty-four hours after the biopsy, the client has a fever, complains of severe abdominal pain, and seems increasingly confused. The nurse suspects that these findings result from:
a. bleeding in the liver caused by the liver biopsy.
b. perforation of the colon caused by the liver biopsy.
c. an allergic reaction to the contrast media used during the liver biopsy.
d. normal postprocedural pain, with a change in the level of consciousness resulting from the preexisting fever.
7. A client with stage II ovarian cancer undergoes a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy with tumor resection, omentectomy, appendectomy, and lymphadenectomy. During the second postoperative day, which of the following assessment findings would raise concern in the nurse?
a. Abdominal pain
b. Hypoactive bowel sounds
c. Serous drainage from the incision
d. Shallow breathing and increasing lethargy
8. A client undergoes a laryngectomy to treat laryngeal cancer. When teaching the client how to care for the neck stoma, the nurse should include which instruction?
a. "Keep the stoma uncovered."
b. "Keep the stoma dry."
c. "Have a family member perform stoma care initially until you get used to the procedure."
d. "Keep the stoma moist."
9. A client who reports increasing difficulty swallowing, weight loss, and fatigue is diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Because this client has difficulty swallowing, the nurse should assign highest priority to:
a. helping the client cope with body image changes.
b. ensuring adequate nutrition.
c. maintaining a patent airway.
d. preventing injury.
10. The nurse is teaching a group of women to perform breast self-examination. The nurse should explain that the purpose of performing the examination is to discover:
a. cancerous lumps.
b. areas of thickness or fullness.
c. changes from previous self-examinations.
d. fibrocystic masses.
---> Answers and Rationale
---> Oncology Nurse Test Questions (1-5)