---> Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Test Bank (26-30)
21. A client refuses his evening dose of haloperidol (Haldol) then becomes extremely agitated in the day room while other clients are watching television. He begins cursing and throwing furniture. The nurse's first action is to:
a. check the client's medical record for an order for an I.M. as needed dose of medication for agitation.
b. place the client in full leather restraints.
c. call the physician and report the behavior.
d. remove all other clients from the day room.
22. A client is admitted to an inpatient psychiatric unit. After the assessment and admission procedures are completed, the nurse states, "I'll try to be available to talk with you when needed and will spend time with you each morning from 10:00 until 10:30 in a specific corner of the dayroom." What is the main rationale for communicating these planned nursing interventions?
a. To attempt to establish a trusting relationship
b. To provide a structured environment for the client
c. To instill hope in the client
d. To provide time for completing nursing responsibilities
23. Touching other people without their permission, reading someone else's mail, and using personal possessions without asking permission are all examples of:
a. antisocial behavior.
c. poor boundaries.
24. In a group therapy setting, one member is very demanding, repeatedly interrupting others, and taking most of the group time. The nurse's best response would be:
a. "Will you briefly summarize your point because others need time also?"
b. "Your behavior is obnoxious and drains the group."
c. To ignore the behavior and allow him to vent.
d. "I'm so frustrated with your behavior."
25. The nurse is documenting a plan of care for a client who has undergone electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). The nurse should include which intervention?
a. Monitoring the client's vital signs every hour for 4 hours
b. Placing the client in Trendelenburg's position
c. Encouraging early ambulation
d. Reorienting the client to time and place
---> Answers and Rationale
---> Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Test Bank (16-20)